Friday, December 7, 2018

Walk with/for Megan in Brookside Gardens

One of my favorite areas to take a walk is Brookside Gardens, in Wheaton, MD, about 6 mi from our apartment. It is a beautifully kept nature center in the midst of residences and commercial sections.  I followed a paved pathway circling around twice on a loop to get a 2 mile distance or about 3K.

There is a conservatory there that houses many colorful plants.  Red stood out with the poinsettias displayed for the holiday season.  Also, a train garden was set up for the season.  I've always been fascinated with the train gardens at Christmas time.  This garden  featured, with the help of a volunteer group, some of the local attractions, such as a model of the visitor center at the garden,  and buildings in the DC area.  In talking with a senior attendant there, he commented that the structures were all handmade by their club members.  The model trains were of the large size, rather than the  mini HO size usually displayed in many train gardens.

The day was sunny, with a brisk breeze.  This particular walk with/for Megan was significant in that it was taken in her memory instead of in her honor.  This was the first walk I had taken since her passing on Nov. 14, 2018.  I had hoped to complete my goal of 100K before she left this earth.  But my last words to her were, "I love you and I am going to continue to walk with you." 

Previous total     85K
Current distance  3K
Totals                 88K (goal 100K)

Standing near the train garden in the Conservatory

A bright  red plant encountered in the Conservatory

Right in season...the poinsettia plant

A nice discovery....bird of paradise

A model train passing a model of the visitor's center at Brookside Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment